Thursday, February 14, 2013

Birding!

Hello again! So this is not becoming an art blog and I am posting a lot recently. Here for your pleasure is my most recent birding adventure from Sunday morning in Ryerson woods. It was the WORST time to go birding (around 11am because SOMEONE who isn't me couldn't get his ass out of bed) and it was raining. Not drizzling- raining and like 20 degrees out. So I went birding and I had one of those moments where I knew what would happen but I hoped I was wrong. I wasn't wrong an by that I mean no birds were out. But it is still a gorgeous place to go! I knew in the rain just about the only place I was going to see anything was the river so I went there and saw some Canada geese (I know, calm yourselves!) and mallards (THE EXCITEMENT IS KILLING ME) and then a whole lot of nothing except some nice trees (and a bunch that had fallen over and of course maple takeover). I ventured up the river and suddenly a duck! A tiny duck! I watched these guys for a little while before realizing they were Common Goldeneyes! The last time I saw these guys was in Milwaukee. I saw 2 females- so it was exciting but you know... drab. ALAS It is a diving duck! So just when I was like I wish I could see a male BOOM White plumage! And I got my wish. Then another female popped up for a total of 3 females and 1 male. I just wanted to share how excited I was over this duck! Like more than I should have been for something that has Common right in the name. I also realized that where the black met white on the ducks plumage by bins were picking up green. Then of course my friend who I went with has the Swarovskis (I'm so jealous) and that is when I added new binoculars to me list of things I want really badly. I have 10x42 Redheads- they are OK for the price but not great overall. Anyways, check out this little gem! We found a bunch of trees that beavers had eaten and someone took it upon themselves to build a snowman! It was by far the most interesting thing we found all day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment